March 12, 2011

While You Are Napping

While you are napping, I should be napping. 
This four-month-old sleep regression business is kicking my butt. I have gone from having a sleeping {champ} to having a sleeping rascal. 
I ask you, what am I supposed to do when this happy face greets me at 4am?
He is not hungry. He is not sad. 
He is just ready to play.
Hey Cruz! Here's a life lesson for ya: nothing good is happening at 4am. 
There are not even any good infomercials on. 
Some days, for good measure, just to keep me half happy that he's awake, he'll throw some new consonant sounds into his babbles.
Okay, you're right, that does make my heart feel good.

On the whole, I had been feeling pretty smug  thankful to have a Sleeping Through The Night Cruz. So I tell myself that I have it much, much harder than the average parent going from sleep to less sleep. 
Like any Modern Mama, I have been scouring the internet for help.
Maybe he's not eating enough during the day.
{True. A Five Month Old Cruz is also an Easily Distracted Cruz.}
Maybe he's teething.
{Drool. Check. Everything in mouth. Check.}
Maybe he's sleeping too much during the day.
{I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. When else would I online shop blog?}
I finally stumbled across a Christian natural/attachment parenting website. 
It was like finding a Prius with a Sarah Palin bumper sticker.
In other words, there aren't too many out there. 
The website actually turned out to be a little judgy, so I'm won't reveal my source to you, but I did like what it said about the four month sleep regression.
Because here's the deal. 
God has made me Cruz's Mama for "a time such as this." There is nothing more important I can be doing than being his mom. My sleep, my work, my peace of mind, my undereye circles... all of that is second to giving Cruz what he needs. And if what he needs is to wake up in the middle of the night for a little snack, then it is my job to give him what he needs.
You know, with a grateful heart.
And yes, giving him what he needs could mean a lot of things.
Like helping him relearn how to sleep through the night, etc.
But I think the point is that I need to stop stressing about my interrupted sleep. 
So I look forward to the day when I can relax during those midnight feedings, knowing that I am right where we're supposed to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments make my day. xo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...